Is Water Worth the Bother?

The importance of water consumption is very underrated by many. Water has been ranked by experts as second only to oxygen as essential for life. In his book, Your Body's Many Cries For Water, Dr. Fereydoon Batmanghelidj stated that chronic dehydration may cause certain problems for the body, including hypertension, asthma, allergies, and migraine headaches. We don't drink enough water, and our body responds to this in different ways, which we often see as illnesses. Water consumption helps your body with absorption, proper digestion, body temperature, blood circulation, and so much more.

The U.S Institute of Medicine reports that an average non exercising man needs about 125 ounces (3 1/2 L) and women need 90 ounces (2 1/2 L) of fluid a day to maintain health. About 80 percent of that comes from water, juice, soft drinks, tea and coffee. The other 20 percent comes from food, fruits and vegetables are especially good sources of water. An athlete needs more water than a non-athletic person. A non active person needs a half ounce of water per pound of body weight per day. That is ten 8 ounce glasses a day if your weight is 160 pounds. For every 25 pounds you exceed your ideal weight, increase it by one 8 ounce glass. An active, athletic person needs 2/3 ounce per pound which is 13-14 8 ounce glasses a day if you're 160 pounds. The more you exercise the more water you need. Spread out your water intake throughout the day. Do not drink more than 4 glasses within any given hour. After a few weeks your bladder calms down & you will urinate less frequently, but in larger amounts.

You need to modify your everyday lifestyle to make getting more water into your body easier. One way to make it easier is to carry water around with you. If it is handy and with you, you are more likely to drink it. Also try to add some ice to your water, many people report water is much easier to get down when it is iced down. You can also try to add some flavor to your water. Squeeze a little bit of lemon juice into your water to help give it a light and healthy kick. If you feel you really need a soda, try to match it with a glass of water first. Drink a full glass of water, then drink your soda. By practicing this, you will stay hydrated and reduce your rate of high-calorie drinks. One last tip to try; before every major meal try to drink down one full glass of water. Not only is this healthy due to the normal benefits of water, but can also make you feel more full which causes you to eat healthier portions.

We can exist without food for 2 months or more, but we can only survive for a few days without water. Our body is completely centered around our water consumption. Getting in the required amount of water daily can only lead to a happier and much more healthy life.

Water is definitely worth the bother.